Friday, October 10, 2014

Day 10: Consistently Messy

All I could think about today is how we are not very consistent at all, and that it is very ironic that I am writing a series about consistency.

Our days are constantly changing.  And, you know what?  I like it like that.  That is part of the reason we homeschool.  For the freedom.

But, it is ironic, nonetheless.  Because consistency is so nice.  For all the reasons I have stated so many times before.

I kept thinking that we must be consistent in some way.  We all are.  Isn't that the stuff culture is made of?  And, then it occurred to me.  We are consistently messy.  

That is part of our family culture.  

I might as well embrace it.

This is what my house looks like.  And this is is good day.

The playroom:


The kitchen ( after we cleaned up after dinner, mind you):



My desk:


The dining room:


I could go on and on. But the kids are sleeping and I can't go into their rooms without waking them.  Their rooms are really bad, guys.  Really bad.  Not growing fungus or anything, just messy. Full of clutter, junk, stuff.

Part of it is just having a large family.  Part of it is tht I have inherited my parents' post world war 2 mentality of hanging onto everything because " you never know when you might need it."  Part of it is living in a consumerist culture that has never before made so much so available so cheaply. 

Whatever the reason, it is in my living room.  It stresses me out but I don't know how to handle it. 

The curse of excess.  So first-world-problemo, I know.



No comments:

Post a Comment