Sunday, June 16, 2013

Today's the Day

The drive from Hong Kong to Guangzhou took about 3 hours.  I had forgotten how crazy the driving is here.  It's like no one uses their turn signals to merge; they just merge into a new lane without looking and hope for the best.  Apparently, it is just the other driver's problem -- the one who has to slam on his brakes and honk his horn like crazy.  It took a while to get used to all the honking and breaking again.  And people say New York cabbies are crazy drivers…

The Garden Hotel in Guangzhou is beautiful.  Wow -- I didn't expect it to be this fancy.  As I said before, the last 2 trips we stayed in Shamian Island in the White Swan.  Shamian Island has a lot going on, but it doesn't feel like it is in a big city.  I am definitely in the big city now.  I din't get to explore yet because I felt so tired yesterday but I couldn't do much other than force myself to stay awake. I ordered room service and watched bad TV.

But today is the day!  I am going to meet Christopher!! I feel nervous and excited.  This is so weird doing it without John.  I am unpacking diapers and bottles and toys -- surreal.

First, my guide/translator is taking me to exchange money for the orphanage fee (which needs to be paid in cash) and then shopping to get formula, water, baby food etc.  Then, at 2:30 (2:30 am EST) I am going to hug my little one in the Guangzhou Civil Affairs Office.  I am not yet sure if any other adoptive parents will be with me.

Next time I post I will have Christopher.
xxoo

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about you! Wow! What an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete